Logan High School
After researching several options for durability, reliability, and total cost of ownership, the MacBook Air was selected as the device to use in the high school one-to-one program. Weight and the use of a solid state drive were also factors in the decision. When comparing products, the next nearest laptop of similar size and function priced at $100 more than the MacBook Air.
Other One-to-One Initiatives
At the elementary school level Chromebooks are being used during the school day with students in grades 3-5. The initial pilot in the fall of 2014 was extremely successful at Adams Elementary. All elementary schools are using Chromebooks either in a classroom one-to-one setting or as an additional lab for state testing.
Below is a general sense of equipment supported in a typical classroom. Though many classrooms will have these technologies, all equipment is not supported in every room.
- ParentLink home for school communication through the Logan City School District App.
- Aspire (formerly SIS) manages student information. Primarily for course assignments, grade reporting and attendance reporting.
- Pinnacle for course management and grade reporting at the middle school.
- ObserverTab assists in professional development and identifying focus areas for school instruction.
- Canvas and MasteryConnect are learning management systems used to assign and track student work. Especially useful identifying performance trends.
- Safari Montage for storing and disseminating video lesson content from subscriptions or content produced by instructors.
- SMART software for building interactive touchscreen lesson content.
- Microsoft Office for education.
- Adobe for education.
- Novell Groupwise for email communications.
- Amplify Learning for early reading skill development identification through DIBELS.
- Reflex Math for math facts mastery.
- Renaissance Plus supports reading at all elementary schools.
- Scholastic Reading Inventory for identifying Lexile reading levels in grades 3-12.
- Google Apps for education.
- Google OS Management Console software for managing Chromebook content.